Registration Procedures


Prior to registration, students will plan a program with an advisor and receive their registration access code. Registration must be completed and all tuition and fees paid to Business Services according to published deadlines in order to avoid assessment of late payment fees.

Class schedules and descriptions of the registration procedures for any semester may be found on the Registrar's Office page.

Tri-College University Registration

Students who are enrolled at Minnesota State University Moorhead, North Dakota State University, Concordia College, Minnesota State Community and Technical College, or North Dakota State College of Science may complete a portion of their coursework at any of these institutions through the Tri-College University. Registration procedures for tri-college coursework may be found on the Registrar's Office page.

Auditing Courses

Students who wish to audit or attend a course without seeking credit must be admitted to MSUM, be registered for the course, and pay full tuition and fees. Classes taken for audit are not eligible for financial aid and do not count toward full-time status. Students may be billed for financial aid if classes taken for credit are later changed to audit status.

To audit a course, students shall attend class sessions but are not required to complete assignments or projects, participate in discussions, take examinations, or meet other requirements.

Students may declare the intent to audit a course by submitting a course audit form signed by the instructor by the tenth class day of a semester. Summer session dates vary based on the length of individual sessions; refer to drop dates posted on the Registrar's Office page.

Students may not receive credit for auditing a course except by re-enrollment for credit and successful completion of the course in a subsequent semester.

An entry of “AU” (Audit) is made on a student’s permanent academic record.

Repeating Courses

Students who wish to take advantage of the repeated course opportunity to improve a grade must repeat the course at MSUM, with one exception only. MSUM students may register for a tri-college course to repeat a course previously taken at MSUM under current tri-college policies. If a course is completed at MSUM and an attempt is made to repeat the course elsewhere, the credit is considered duplicate and is not eligible for transfer. When a course is repeated at MSUM, all attempts remain on the academic record but only the credits, grades, and related honor points for the most recent attempt will be used in calculating the cumulative grade-point average and credits for graduation. Students forfeit the previous grade no matter what grade is earned when the course is repeated. Courses taken for regular A-F grades may not be repeated for pass-fail grades. To assure the GPA is corrected, students must submit a repeated course form to the Registrar's Office. The form can be found on the Registrar's Office page.

All course attempts will remain on the permanent academic record. All repeated courses are noted on the transcript to indicate the course was repeated in a following term and excluded from cumulative totals. A student cannot receive financial aid for more than one repetition of a previously passed course.

Resident Credits

Resident credits are those registered and paid for at MSUM while attending courses offered on campus, through Tri-College, or through other designated exchange programs. Non-resident credits are those earned at another college (except in authorized exchange programs), and those credits earned through Advanced Placement, the International Baccalaureate, the College Level Examination Program, credit for prior learning, or examination for credit.

Excess Credit

Freshmen or sophomores registering for more than 18 credits during any semester (nine credits during a summer session) must fill out an excess credit form. This form must be signed by both the student’s advisor and their respective college dean. No student may register for more than 20 credits without an excess credit permit. The form can be found on the Registrar's Office page.